Seite 1 von 2 12 LetzteLetzte
Ergebnis 1 bis 10 von 17

Raven's R80g/s buildup.....went from a good rider to an almost new bike

Hello everyone. Sorry for just using English. My German is limited to what I find on my G/S and 328i car.

Thought I would let everyone know about a restoration I'm doing on my 81 g/s. You can read a complete step by step here at HUBB. I'm not here though to diverty you to the HUBB so A quick background.

Last year I decided that I wanted a g/s for a number of reasons. Having owned a r1100gs and a klr650, I figured the g/s had what I liked out of both bikes.

I eventually found one 3500mi away on the Mexican border and went down and tried to ride it back. The rear main seal blew within 10 miles. and the charging system died in a few days. I had a crash course in airhead repair and maintenance.

I ended up riding the bike all summer, and got used to the quirks. Around November I decided it needed an update and restoration. What started as a replacement of worn parts and refresh has turned into a complete engine and bike overhaul with several updates. These updates include R100GS forks and Subframe. The bike is basically being turned into a monolever R80GS basic.

So that's the story. Here are a few detail photos. Feel free to offer suggestions, help, or anything you wish. I am not stubborn and appreciate input. Feel free to write in German if you can get a point across easier, I can translate.

The bike prior to restoration;

Left side

Right side

Oil stained FD...brake lever and Drain

Charge update:

New Clutch and RMS

New and old Harness:

Powdercoating:

Points for simplicity

R100GS forks and subframe

As it is now:

Did I mention this is where it's being done?

Tach auch,

Was ist denn das für eine Diodenplatte ? Und wo gibts die.

Gruß Jörn

" Levver duad as Slave "

The Diodenplatte is part of the Omega 450W upgrade from Motorrad Elektrik. Go here: http://www.motoelekt.com/charging.htm

Rick, the owner is a good guy.

Zitat Zitat von JW 0815 Beitrag anzeigen
    Tach auch,

Was ist denn das für eine Diodenplatte ? Und wo gibts die.

Gruß Jörn

Hi Ho,

Thank's

Gruß Jörn
    " Levver duad as Slave "

Admin Avatar von hg_filder

I like the M&M Part -> connected to?

Zitat Zitat von The Raven Beitrag anzeigen
    Hello everyone.
    Hi,

This is the solution für connecting the Ground-Wire (see here) - but only 1 wire with 4mm2

Zitat Zitat von The Raven Beitrag anzeigen

Hans
    Geändert von hg_filder (17.02.2011 um 18:03 Uhr)
    R 100 GS '92 Nur eine, aber meine.

Hi Raven,

What a wonderful restoration you have accomplished! Congratulations on your bike - seems to have got the upgrades the G/S needed. I guess the idyllic environment helped to do this great job (I am really envious of the garden "shed" you have!).
    What is the advantage of the Motorradelektrik diode board aas opposed to the BMW diode board?

best wishes

Alfons

Hg_Filder- The ground wires you see are actually overkill and not really needed. The G/S has solid mounts for grounding, but I had the wires so why not use them Better too much ground than not enough. The M&Ms.....MAXBMW my local dealer provides M&Ms with every order. That little gesture is enough to make them a VERY successful dealer. The downside is if they leave them out the order is a disappointment.

Alfons-The benefits of the ME diodeboard is better cooling and more robust diodes. It is needed with the 450w alternator output.
    Geändert von The Raven (18.02.2011 um 00:59 Uhr)

Créateur de Bonheur † 23.01.2023 Avatar von kurvenfieber
    Nice work, seems u know already about the weak points of ur beemer :].
    As I love Maine, I should also love the snow...actually I don´t. Except the possibility to ride a snow scooter in winter...this I really love to do.
    I had a really nice time at the moose head lake. (the snow was already gone).

A friend of mine comes to the states very frequently, he owns the R90/6 with the R100RS motor in my profile with me. If u need shipment for stuff u can´t get at home let me know, and we´ll se what he can do.

greez
    Herbert
    "Die gefährlichste aller Weltanschauungen ist die Weltanschauung der Leute, welche die Welt nicht angeschaut haben". A.v.Humboldt

https://KurvenfiebersReisen.blogspot.de

Herbert,
    The snow is nice for a while, but gets old quick. I can't complain about it much though as in the heat of the summer I would pay for a day in January in July for a respite from the heat. I must enjoy things when I have them.
    Moosehead is a great area, Maine is funny in such every corner of the state is varied. From coastal plains to western hills to a small desert in southern maine.
    I do appreciate the offer of shipping things back to me. I wish I had the offer about a month and a half ago. I may still take you up on it as I really want to get a euro ignition switch and associated indicator bezel, a tach and volt pods . I'd love to get a bigger tank like and HPN or PD, but need to save up the $$. All of that stuff is impossible to find in the states.

Oh yeah,
    Speaking of snow scoots...or as we call them snowmobiles. Here is mine:

Regards
    Adam

Zitat Zitat von kurvenfieber Beitrag anzeigen
    Nice work, seems u know already about the weak points of ur beemer :].
    As I love Maine, I should also love the snow...actually I don´t. Except the possibility to ride a snow scooter in winter...this I really love to do.
    I had a really nice time at the moose head lake. (the snow was already gone).

A friend of mine comes to the states very frequently, he owns the R90/6 with the R100RS motor in my profile with me. If u need shipment for stuff u can´t get at home let me know, and we´ll se what he can do.

greez
    Herbert

Hallo Adam, think your dealer gives the M and M`s as a hint, concerning the switches at the beemer handlebars.
    Perhaps they took in munich for each switch, one "m" out off the package, with
    closed eye and designed the colors.
    Doesn`t matter, cause we all, handle the bares/switches with closed eyes.
    Hans

Seite 1 von 2 12 LetzteLetzte